Sunday, 31 October 2010

Halloween

Pumpkins, pumpkins and more pumpkins... its 31 October and Canada is having halloween. For the last few weeks, people have been decorating their houses with pumpkins, spider webs, beware signs and various other bits and pieces. Its been quite entertaining, seeing what everyone does. Virtually every house has at least a pumkin or 2 on their verandah and the more adventurous range up to whole Vampire dinner parties, with all the trimmings.

I had my first taste of halloween, by going to the pumkin farm and choosing a pumpkin to carve.




We then went back and had to carve the pumkin. This involves removing the VERY slimy innards and scraping out all the pips and other slimy muck from inside. A face is then drawn on the outside and the carving begins. It is much harder than it looks, but I think the end product was pretty acceptable for my first carved pumpkin.






And sitting on the verandah...



I do have to admit, some people go to town with their pumpkins and they look amazing. Mine was a very simple one...

I joined up with a famiy from church to go trick and treating, as they have little children and it was quite fun watching the children go from house to house all dressed up, collecting candy. The whole street gets involved and for 2 hours the street is alive with kids running around getting candy.

The area I was in, even had a play put on outside the one house, with stage lights and music etc. (the owner is in the film industry!) Quite well done and a good laugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment